Friday, February 8, 2008

Here we go..

Ok, this is my first real experience as a blogger, so bare with me, and maybe I can make it worth your time. As it happens, it's Friday night, and considering this blog is supposed to be about the art scene in Portland, I would be doing no one any good if I spent it sitting around talking about myself. Instead I am going to write about last night. First Thursdays in Portland, as in a number of other cosmopolitan cities, are essentially a gallery hop through Northwest Portland. I hold the indistinction of being one of those pretentious Portland assholes who believes the characteristic sights and culture in Portland primarily exist on the East side of the Willamette (the river running North-South through the city, for those not savvy to Portland geography). West Portland could be, to me, any other city in America. It's where would be hip yuppies from LA and every other over priced city in America are moving in droves, and attempting to recreate their hometowns with cheaper rent, less violent crime and cleaner air. But enough of my pretentious pontificating, the point was that First Thursday is one of the few things that will inspire me to drag myself to Northwest Portland. Outside of the many galleries, a number of which are peoples' homes, opening their doors to the art and culture interested masses of the 503, I have discovered a particular gem which shines quite bright on this regularly scheduled night. @ 14 NW 3rd Avenue, up the stairs adjacent to The Tube (that little tunnel of hip clothes, slick haircuts and other scenester accoutrements) a group of artists let us into their home/art space (I'm honestly not sure where that line is drawn) and allow whoever chooses to do so to perform whatever manner of thing they might be feeling, and the rest of us to absorb. The MC of the open mic event is an exuberant young man whom I met on the street immediately following the interview for my last job. A brief exchange led him to invite me to his event, and I to leave intrigued. Months later I finally stopped in. What I encountered blew my mind. If ever I have been witness to so much heart, talent and creative energy of so many different kinds in such a concentrated dose, well it's been a good many years in different land. The bohemian dreamscape in which this event resides is on the third floor of building in Old Town, and the stage stands before the backdrop of windows, fire escape and the glowing red sign of the Union Gospel Mission across the street. As luck would have it, other commitments kept me from staying long last night with this little artistic enclave, but in the short time I was present, I witnessed a bit of what seemed a Shakespearian monologue, soulful crooning from an exuberant old man (which included a group sing along of some late era Aerosmith far superior to the original) and got a brief view what appears to be a very talented local musical duo by the name of Tell the Truth. I only heard two songs from this punk and pretty looking pair, but what I heard moved me a great deal. Soulful songwriting and singing, beautiful harmonies and clearly an excellent and dramatic sense of performance. I'd say they are an act to watch. I found them on MySpace @ www.myspace.com/tellthetruthpdx I recommend checking them out if you are interested in finding accessible music with heart, soul and a powerful sense of aesthetic. As for the event itself, well it was pretty packed last night, so I don't know how much more the word can get out, but if you do want to check out the beauty way bellow the radar here in PDX, especially if you're guilty of that most heinous of crimes in the PNW: being under the age of 21, this is a great spot. They charge a donation, but they give out food and drink.

Now for my other commitments on a First Thursday. Last night @ Ground Control (511 NW Couch St), a hip little video arcade/bar located around where Old Town meets the Pearl, fairly new local band Rootbeer and French Fry (www.myspace.com/rootbeerandfrenchfry). One of my favorites of the regularly playing local live music scene, R&FF are a fun, danceable and creatively relevant combination of live musicianship and sequenced beats. They play a lot of shows, so I'll give you more on them later. Headlining that same show was an old Olympia, Washington classic, Glass Elevator (www.myspace.com/glasselevator). If you know any musicians in Olympia, and everyone in Olympia is a musician, then you know someone who knows someone either currently playing in the band, or a former member. I'd love to go in depth on this band's history, relevance and classic rock styled epic jams, but Friday night is upon me and my ride waits. More later...




No comments: